5/26/2006

Job woes...

Well, if you've read my previous post from a few weeks ago you know that I've been thinking of a change. I'm a social worker for the county I live in. I've been at the same job now for over 5 years - I'm fully vested, I get that extra vacation week per year, I have seniority, I'm a Union Steward --- all that and yet I'm bored at work. Yup, bored I tell ya. I've outgrown my position and unfortunately there is nowhere "up" to go in my agency. I need a change. I'm not feeling fulfilled. I feel like my clinical social work skills are suffering.


Soooo, I placed a phone call (waiting for a call back) with our H.R. Dept. They have career counselors available to help. I need help! I have so many skills that aren't being utilized. I've been afraid to mention anything before at work for fear that they'd overload me with projects but what it's come down to is that I'm so very tired for 40 hours per week trying to think up things to do to make myself look busy. I'd rather be busy with "real" work.


So, along with my "L.I.P" (Life Improvement Program) I decided to make a change for the better. I'm still staying with the county of course, I certainly don't want to leave the bene's I have, I just need a change.


Change is good, eh?


I'm also half-way through a very complete and detailed "Health Appraisal" offered by my health insurance. I already completed the first half which was blood tests and other "measurements". The next half is scheduled in a few weeks and will involve going over the results of the blood work and measurements and a complete physical exam. So, I'm trying to take care of the physical part of me too. I'll let you know what happens on the job-front.

No comments: