7/16/2008

So much fun yesterday...

I volunteered to go on a field trip with Foster's class. And for those of you not playing along, yes, he's in year-round school so his last day is not until July 21st.

Anyway, I'm so glad I showed up because sadly, the other 3 parents who volunteered did not. Yup, I was the only parent along with the teacher. Now some of this may be the teacher's fault. Again, for those of you not playing along, this has been quite a tumultuous year for this first grade class. The teacher was absent for almost half the year (her husband was very sick and passed away) and well, she hasn't quite been the same since. As a result, permission slips just came home last Friday (for the trip on Tuesday) and while that's enough time for me to decide to go on the trip, one days notice for other parents that may need to make special arrangements may not be enough time. And, per my usual protocol, I had to send a note to the teacher to call me to give me directions. All of this has made Foster's first grade year a tough one - we haven't yet decided 100% what we're planning on for him for next year (promote him, hold him back, ???). But that's a whole 'nother post.

Anyway, the field trip was so much fun. We went to the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center and saw an IMAX film and then explored the rest of the Science Center. We had lunch outside at the park and the kids got a chance to play. I love having the chance to watch my kid interact with the other kids. And I must admit, he wanted to hold my hand most of the day (and of course, sit next to me in the movie). Yeah, he isn't yet at the age where having me along is embarrassing!!

Then, to make the day even better, I "stole" him away from school when they got back (vs. sending him to his 'before and after school program') and we went home and went swimming. Foster was over-the-moon excited to have personal time with me and to go swimming was just the icing. He was so happy to be able to go to the pool by himself. And I was happy to indulge him. It isn't often that he gets dedicated one-on-one time, especially in a family with 3 kids.

Fun day yesterday indeed.

1 comment:

Sonya said...

Yay! Sounds like a great day for you and Foster.

I'm sorry to hear about the teacher and her situation. It must be hard for her. I can't imagine how this has affected her life and her ability to excel as a teacher. It sounds like the kids might not have gotten what they needed from her.